Roopkund Trek- Enjoy A Glorious Visit To The Lakes
Roopkund Trek is one of the most enthralling treks in the Garhwal Himalayan region in India. It is a high altitude alpine trek that takes you through some of the most spectacular landscapes in the Himalayas. The trek covers a distance of around 38 kilometres and takes you to an altitude of around 16,000 feet.
The trek starts from Lohajung, a small village located in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand. The route passes through the ancient Nanda Devi National Park, where you will have the opportunity to witness the breathtaking beauty of the Himalayas. The trek offers you a chance to explore traditional villages and witness the Himalayan culture. You will also get to see some of the most beautiful meadows and breathtaking views of the snow-capped peaks.On the trek, you will also get to witness some of the most awe-inspiring views of the Trishul, Nanda Ghunti, and Maiktoli peaks. The trek also passes through meadows and ancient forests, making it a perfect opportunity to witness the wilderness at its best.
Roopkund Trek Highlights
- Roopkund Trek is a challenging but rewarding experience that allows you to explore the rugged terrain of the Himalayas, while enjoying the majestic views of the snow-capped peaks.
- The Roopkund Trek is located in the state of Uttarakhand in India, and it is one of the most popular treks in the region. This trek is renowned for its spectacular views, amazing wildlife, and challenging mountain passes.
- This trek can be divided into two parts: the Base Camp Trek and the High Altitude Trek. From Day 1, the trek starts from Kathgodam to Lohajung. It takes 9-10 hours to reach.
- On day 7, you will be leading to Roopkund from Bhagwabhasa where you will be able to see the mysterious human skeletons that lie at the bottom of the lake. You will go up to Junargali from there. During this trek, you will also cross over to other areas, such as Bali Pass, Bhagwabasa, and Ali Bugyal.
Best time for the Roopkund Trek
The trek can be done anytime of the year, but the best time for the Roopkund trek is from the last week of August and first week of October. During these months, the temperature is pleasant and the terrain is dry which makes it easier to trek. There is no heavy snow there and the trails are easier to navigate. In September and October, the snow starts to occur again and it makes trekking a bit difficult during the end of October and the lake starts to get frozen. However, the views from the lake are even more breathtaking. Also, the temperatures during this time are much cooler and the terrain is much more rugged.
How to Reach Roopkund Trek
- The Roopkund trek starts from the village of Lohajung in the district of Chamoli, Uttarakhand. The nearest airport to Lohajung is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun, which is about 300 km away. If you are travelling by train, the nearest railway station is at Rishikesh, which is about 242 km away. From here, you will have to take a road journey of about 8 hours to reach Lohajung.
- Once you reach Lohajung, you will be welcomed by the locals, who will provide you with all the necessary gear and supplies for the trek. After a few days of acclimatisation, you can begin your trek towards Roopkund. The trek is usually divided into five stages, with each stage taking two to three days to complete.
- The first stage of the trek will take you to Didna, which is located at an altitude of about 8,000 feet. From here, you will ascend to the Bhagwabasa campsite, which is located at an altitude of 14,029 feet. The second stage of the trek will take you to Bedni Bugyal, which is located at an altitude of 13,500 feet.
- The third stage of the trek will lead you to Ali Bugyal, which is situated at an altitude of 14,500 feet. From here, you will have to climb steeply up to Roopkund Lake, which is located at an altitude of 11,004 feet. This is the highest point of the trek, and you will be rewarded with some stunning views of the panoramic glaciers and distant mountain ranges.
Route Map for Roopkund Trek
The main routes you can take to reach the Roopkund summit –
- Kathgodam >> Lohajung >> Didna >> Ali Bugyal >> Patar Nachuni >> Bhagwabasa >>Roopkund>> Patar Nachuni >> Lohajung >> Kathgodam
Quick Info about the Roopkund Trek:
|Trek Duration||8 days|
|Trekking Distance||38 KM|
|Maximum Altitude||4900 ft.|
|Start/ End Point of the Trek||Lohajung|
|Roopkund Trek Temperature||Day (13° to 18°C) and Night: (-5°C to 7°C)|
|Nearest Railway Station||Rishikesh railway station |
|Nearest Airport||Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun|
Travel Tips for Roopkund Trek
Here are some essential travel tips for Roopkund Trek that can help you make the most of your trip:
- Understand the route map: Understanding the route map and looking for the best visiting season is an essential prerequisite for travelling to Roopkund. It prevents the usage of wayward paths and wrong destinations.
- Get in Shape: Roopkund Trek is considered to be a strenuous trek and it involves a lot of climbing and descending. Therefore, it is essential that you get in shape before you embark on your trip. Start exercising regularly at least two months before the trek. Additionally, make sure to practise hiking and climbing to build endurance.
- Pack Appropriately: It is very important to pack wisely for the Roopkund Trek. Make sure to pack everything that you need for the trek including proper clothing, camping gear, essential documents, and medical supplies. Additionally, it is important to pack light as you need to carry everything that you need for the trek.
- Acclimatize: Acclimatization is one of the most important aspects of high altitude trekking. Make sure to spend a few days in the local area to get used to the altitude and the climate. Additionally, drink plenty of fluids and take rest days in between to help your body adjust to the conditions.
- Manage Expectations: Roopkund Trek is a challenging trek and can be physically and mentally taxing. Therefore, it is important to manage your expectations and to be prepared for the toughest conditions. Additionally, make sure to stay positive and motivated throughout the trek.
Documents to Carry for Roopkund trek
Here are the documents that you need to carry for Roopkund trek:
- Identity proof – You need to have an identity proof with you at all times. It can be anything, such as your driver’s licence, PAN card, Voter ID or any other government-approved identification.
- Medical certificate – You need to carry a medical certificate with you when trekking in India. This certificate should state that you are fit and healthy enough to undertake the trek.
- Travel insurance – You must carry travel insurance with you during your trek. The policy should cover you for medical emergencies, trip cancellation, and trip interruption.
- Emergency contact information – You must carry information of your next of kin and other emergency contacts. This information should include their names, addresses, and contact numbers.
- Clothing and Gear – You must carry appropriate clothing and gear for going on the trek. Make sure you have the right type of clothing and gear for the weather conditions.
What to pack for the Roopkund trek?
- One of the most important items to pack for the Roopkund trek is a good quality hiking bag. A hiking bag is essential for carrying all of your trekking essentials such as food, water, clothing, and other supplies. Make sure to choose a bag with plenty of pockets to help you stay organised. Additionally, look for a bag that is lightweight and waterproof for extra protection when trekking in harsh conditions.
- Good quality hiking boots are also a must-have for the Roopkund trek. Choose boots that are comfortable and offer plenty of ankle support. Moreover, make sure to break in your boots before the trek by wearing them around the house and going for a few short hikes.
- When it comes to clothing, it’s important to dress in layers for the Roopkund trek. Pack a mix of lightweight and waterproof layers such as t-shirts, long-sleeve shirts, pants, and a windbreaker. Additionally, pack a few items that are designed specifically for trekking such as a wool hat and gloves, a fleece jacket.
- Other must-have items include a good quality sleeping bag, medicines with proper prescription, a headlamp, a first-aid kit, sunscreen, a camera, and insect repellent. Finally, don’t forget to pack snacks and energy bars to help you stay energised throughout the trek.
Other Popular Treks To Explore In Uttarakhand
Trekking in the Himalayas is a dream for most outdoor enthusiasts. And one of the most popular, yet challenging trekking routes in the Himalayas is the Kuari Pass Trek. This trek is a relatively easy trek and is suitable for both beginner and experienced trekkers.
This is one of the highest Shiva temples in the world, located in Uttarakhand. Located at an altitude of 3,680 metres, Tungnath trek is known for its stunning views and breathtaking landscapes.
This trek is an adventurous journey through the majestic Himalayan Mountains of Uttarakhand. Bali Pass trek is one of the most popular treks in India, and it is an unforgettable experience for all those who brave its terrain.
One of the most picturesque and awe-inspiring treks in Uttarakhand, India is Chandrashila trek. It is a trek that will take you to the summit of Chandrashila (Moon Rock), which stands at a height of 3,690 metres.
Swargarohini Trek is an awe-inspiring Himalayan mountain range located near the holy town of Uttarkashi in the state of Uttarakhand, India. The range is an extension of the Garhwal Himalayas and is part of the greater Himalayan range.
The Kafni Glacier Trek, also known as Pindari Glacier Trek, is a breathtaking trek that takes you through the majestic Himalayas. The trek starts in the beautiful village of Loharkhet, located in the Kumaon region of Uttarakhand.
Why Choose Travanya?
It is an online platform that offers end-to-end information about the Roopkund Trek. Our mission is to provide trekkers and adventurers with the right information to make their trekking experience a memorable one. Travanya offers complete information about the trekking route, best season to visit, necessary permits, and safety tips. With our comprehensive information, you can make the most out of your trekking experience. You can get some amazing deals and offers with us which you have never seen before. Cheap international and domestic flight bookings are available with us. We are a certified company with years of experience in flight bookings. There is a 24/7 available customer support which will assist you in every query of yours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is Roopkund trek?
A: Roopkund trek is a challenging Himalayan trek that takes you through breathtaking mountains and valleys around the Roopkund lake.
Q: What services does Travanya provide for Roopkund trek?
A: Travanya provides end-to-end Roopkund trek information, including detailed itinerary, accommodation, transportation, permits, and other trek related information.
Q: What is the best time to do the Roopkund trek?
A: The best time to do the Roopkund trek is from August to October, when the weather is perfect for trekking and the trails are open.
Q: What are the inclusions/exclusions in the Roopkund trek package?
A: The inclusions in the Roopkund trek package provided by Travanya are accommodation, meals, transportation, permits, guide, and other necessary equipment. The exclusions are the cost of trekking equipment, any additional activities, and personal expenses.
Q: Is Travanya insured for Roopkund trek?
A: Yes, Travanya is insured for the Roopkund trek, so you can be assured of a safe and secure trekking experience.