Kedarnath trek- A Gateway To Paradise
The Kedarnath Trek is a challenging trek that takes you through some of the most stunning landscapes and scenery of the Garhwal Himalayas. The trek begins from Gaurikund, which is located at an altitude of 11,750 ft and it’s the gateway to the Kedarnath valley. As you trek through the valley, you will come across several stunning views of the snow-clad Himalayan peaks, lush green meadows, and rivers. The trek also takes you through dense forests and meadows, which makes it even more exciting.
The trek is quite challenging and requires a lot of physical fitness. It takes around four to five days to complete the Kedarnath Trek. During the trek, you will not only get an opportunity to explore nature, but you will also get to learn about the culture and traditions of the locals. The Kedarnath Trek is also known as one of the holiest places in India and it’s a great pilgrimage for Hindu devotees. The trek is also a great way to connect with spirituality and let your soul wander in the lap of nature.
If you are looking for an amazing trekking experience with a touch of spirituality, then the Kedarnath Trek is the best option for you. With its breathtaking views and challenging terrains, the Kedarnath Trek is definitely an unforgettable experience that will help you create some amazing memories!
Kedarkantha Trek Highlights
Here are some highlights that should not be missed:
- Gaurikund is the starting point of the Kedarnath trek. It is an important pilgrimage destination and is home to several ancient temples. During this journey, one can explore the breathtaking beauty of Gaurikund and unravel its religious history.
- As you trek to Kedarnath, you will be surrounded by breathtaking views of the Himalayas. Taking a break to enjoy the views of the majestic Himalayas is a must-do during this trek.
- The highlight of the Kedarnath trek is visiting the ancient Kedarnath temple. This holy temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is one of the most important pilgrimage destinations in India. You must visit the temple to experience the spiritual vibe of the place.
- After a tiring day of trekking, you can unwind at the hot springs near Kedarnath. These hot springs are believed to have healing and therapeutic qualities and are a great way to rejuvenate your body and soul.
- Chorabari Lake is an ideal spot for camping during the Kedarnath trek. Here, you can spend a night under a blanket of stars and wake up to the beauty of the lake and its surroundings.
Best time to visit Kedarnath Trek
The best time to visit the Kedarnath Trek is during the summer months of May to October. This is when the weather is most conducive for trekking, and the snow is at its lowest level. The bright sunshine and clear sky make the trekking experience even more rewarding.
How to Reach Kedarnath Trek
- By Road: You can take a bus or taxi from Rishikesh to the trek starting point, Gaurikund. The journey is around 208.1 km and takes about 11 hours. If you want to take a shorter route, you can also reach Gaurikund from Haridwar, which is only a few kilometres away from Rishikesh. Once you reach Gaurikund, you can start your trek. The trek passes through some of the most picturesque places in the Garhwal Himalayas. You will be crossing the Mandakini River, trekking through beautiful meadows, and walking through dense forests.
- By Air: The closest airport to the Kedarnath Trek is the Jolly Grant Airport which lies at a distance of 239 km. Passengers can opt for a private taxi or public transport from the airport itself to further complete the journey.
- By Train: Rishikesh Railway Station is closest to the Kedarkantha Trek with a distance of 221 km. In the same way, passengers can opt for different transport options available from the railway station.
Route Map for Kedarnath Trek
There are three main routes you can take to reach the Kedarkantha summit –
- Gaurikund >> Rambara bridge >> Jungle Chatti >> Bheembali >> Linchauli >> Kedarnath base camp >> Kedarnath temple >> Gaurikund
- Chaumasi → Kham → Rambara → Kedarnath
- Trijuginarayan → Kedarnath
Quick Info about the Kedarnath Trek:
|Trek Duration||6 days|
|Trekking Distance||18 KM|
|Maximum Altitude||12500 ft.|
|Difficulty Level||Easy to Moderate|
|Start/ End Point of the Trek||Gaurikund |
|Kedarnath Trek Temperature||Day (8°C to 20°C) and Night: (-5°C to 6°C)|
|Nearest Railway Station||Rishikesh railway station |
|Nearest Airport||Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun|
Travel Tips for Kedarnath Trek
Here are some essential travel tips that will help you make the most of your Kedarnath Trek.
- Get acclimatized: Kedarnath Trek is at an altitude of 11,750 feet. You will need to get used to the high altitude before you start the trek. Spend some time in the local area and start your trek slowly. This will help you avoid altitude sickness.
- Be prepared for extreme weather: The weather in the mountains can be unpredictable. Carry enough warm clothing and waterproof gear to protect yourself from the elements.
- Pack light: You need to pack light, as you will be carrying your bag all the way up the mountain. Make sure to carry only the essential items like a sleeping bag, warm clothing, first-aid kit, energy bars, and trekking poles.
- Carry a first-aid kit: You never know what might happen on a trek. It’s always better to be safe than sorry. Carry a basic first-aid kit that includes bandages, antiseptic cream, painkillers, and other essential items.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated throughout the trek. Carry a few water bottles with you and refill them at streams and springs.
- Be aware of the terrain: The terrain on the Kedarnath trek is quite rugged. Be mindful of your steps and be aware of any slippery patches.
- Pack some snacks: Carry some energy bars, dry fruits, and nuts in your bag. This will provide you with the energy and nutrition to keep going during the trek.
- Don’t forget to enjoy: The Kedarnath Trek is an amazing experience. Don’t forget to take time and enjoy the beautiful views, take pictures, and meet new people.
Documents to Carry for Kedarnath Trek
The documents that you must carry for the Kedarnath trek are
- Identity proof: It is essential to carry valid identity proof such as an Aadhar card, PAN card, Voter ID card, or Passport. This will be required for verification at the entry point and other checkpoints.
- Medical certificate: The trek to Kedarnath is quite challenging, and it is important to carry a medical certificate that states that you are fit and healthy enough to undertake the trek.
- Permit: You will need to get a permit from the Uttarakhand government before you can start your trek. This is important for security purposes and you will need to show the permit at every checkpoint during your journey.
- Travel insurance: It is always better to be safe than sorry. You must carry travel insurance to ensure financial protection in case of any unforeseen circumstances during the trek.
What to pack for the Kedarnath Trek
- Clothing: When it comes to clothing, you’ll want to dress in layers to cope with the changing weather conditions. Bring multiple light layers, such as a long-sleeved T-shirt, a fleece or light-down jacket, and a waterproof outer layer. You’ll also need a hat and a pair of gloves, as well as a good pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun.
- Footwear: Your choice of footwear is very important when trekking in the Himalayas. You’ll need a sturdy and waterproof pair of boots with good ankle support, as well as thick woollen socks. You should also bring an extra pair of socks and a pair of sandals or slippers for when you get back to camp.
- Other Essentials: In addition to the above, you’ll also need to bring a few other essentials. These include a headlamp, a pocket knife, a few water bottles, a small first aid kit, good sunscreen, and insect repellent. Also, consider bringing along a pocket-sized book of prayers to chant at the temple.
- Additional Tips: If you’re trekking in the summer, you’ll need to bring a few extra items to protect you from the sun. These include a sunhat, a pair of light-coloured long pants, and long-sleeved shirts. It’s also a good idea to bring a few energy bars, as there won’t be many opportunities for a meal on the trek.
Other Popular Treks To Explore In Uttarakhand
Set in the stunning Himalayan range of Uttarakhand, the Kedarkantha Trek is one of the most popular treks in India. It is an ideal choice for beginners and experienced trekkers alike.
It is a thrilling and challenging trek in the Garhwal Himalayas. The trail of the Brahmatal Trek passes through meadows, forests, lakes and offers spectacular view.
Situated in Uttarakhand, the Valley of Flowers Trek is a paradise for nature lovers. The trek passes through a variety of alpine meadows, wildflowers and majestic peaks.
It is an easy, picturesque route in the Garhwal Himalayas. The Har Ki Dun trek passes through meadows, forests, villages and glaciers. The views of the snow-covered mountains is amazing.
It is one of the most popular treks in the Garhwal Himalayas. The trail for Nag Tibba Trek passes through thick forests, meadows and villages. This trek is great for adventure.
It is situated in the Garhwal Himalayas. The trail for Dayara Bugyal Trek passes through lush meadows, pine forests, and breathtaking views of the mountains.
Choose Travanya For End-to-End Kedarnath Trek Information
At Travanya, we understand how important it is to be well-informed before embarking on any trek. That’s why we’ve put together all the information you need to make your Kedarnath trek a success. From essential equipment and packing lists to detailed route maps and advice on dealing with altitude sickness, we’ve got you covered. We’re passionate about helping you make the most of your Kedarnath trek. With our friendly and knowledgeable team, you can rest assured you’ll have all the information you need for a safe and enjoyable journey. So, don’t hesitate – to get in touch with us at +91-800-023-5865 and let us help you make your Kedarnath trek unforgettable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What type of terrain and weather should I expect on the Kedarnath Trek?
A: The Kedarnath Trek is a little riskier and a good level of fitness is required to complete the trek. As you keep climbing, the oxygen level will decrease so it is important to have good health when doing this trek.
Q: How many hours does it take from Gaurikund to Kedarnath?
A: It takes around 5-6 hours to reach Kedarnath from Gaurikund. Many people take the help of horses and ponies but it is always recommended to complete the trek by yourself and avoid being a burden on animals.
Q: Can I do the Kedarnath Trek alone?
A: Kedarnath Trek can definitely be done solo. Take a taxi to Gaurikund from Sonprayag and keep proper track of your trek with the help of GPS files. The trek is moderate and one must keep all the precautions handy.
Q: Are there any outdoor gears I need to take when doing the Kedarnath Trek?
A: It is important to carry the necessary outdoor gear such as hiking boots, waterproof jackets, backpacks, sleeping bags, and other items that you might need during the trek.
Q: Is there an age limit for the Kedarnath Trek?
A: There’s no limit to the Kedarnath Trek officially but it is always better for children below 10 and senior citizens above 65 to avoid the trek due to the high altitude.