15 Must-See Tourist Places In Jammu And Kashmir To Explore
Posted on Wednesday, March 2nd, 2022 by Pawanpreet Kaur Leave a Comment
The beauty of Jammu and Kashmir is unparalleled. The natural scenery and the beautiful tourist places in Jammu and Kashmir are so captivating that they are sure to take your breath away. The snow-capped mountains, the rolling hills, the pristine lakes, and the mesmerizing rivers all make for an unforgettable spectacle. Besides the spectacular Jammu Kashmir tourist places, what’s even more interesting is the hospitality of the locals. Whether you are exploring famous places in Jammu and Kashmir or the natural Jammu Kashmir scenery, this city is sure to offer a great time.
From incredibly friendly and welcoming locals to the best places to visit in Jammu and Kashmir, this union territory is one of the incredible places to visit in India. So if you’re looking for an amazing travel destination, be sure to add Jammu and Kashmir to your list! You won’t regret it. So, let’s check what magnificent places (with pictures) does Jammu-Kashmir have for you to offer.
1. Srinagar – Venice Of The East
One of the top 10 tourist places in Jammu and Kasmir, Srinagar is rightly called the “Venice of the East.” This beautiful city is located on the banks of Dal Lake and offers some of the most stunning views in the world. The Mughal Gardens, Shalimar Bagh and Nishat Bagh are some of the must-see tourist spots of Jammu and Kashmir. The city is also an abode to the Hazratbal Shrine, which is considered to be very sacred by Muslims. If you’re looking for a place that offers natural beauty and historical charm, then Srinagar is the place for you.
Top 5 Things To Do In Srinagar
- Taste the authentic flavours of local Kashmiri cuisine like Rogan Josh, Kashmiri Pulao, and Sewai.
- Buy beautiful souvenirs like handmade baskets, embroidered scarves, silver jewellery, spices at Lal Chowk, Badshah Chowk, Polo View Market, Raghunath Mandir.
- 2- hours bird watching and boating at the peaceful Manasabal Lake.
- Visit Kashmir’s holiest Muslim shrine – Hazratbal Mosque
- Take a walk to the colourful Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden.
Top Sights To See – Dal Lake, Shalimar Bagh Mughal Garden, Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden, Nigeen Lake, Hazratbal Masjid, Dachigam National Park, Chashma Shahi Garden
Best Time To Visit – April to October
2. Gulmarg – Switzerland of India
When it comes to places in Jammu and Kashmir, the beauty of Gulmarg is the most appreciated. This alluring town is known for its stunning scenery, including snow-capped peaks and meadows covered in wildflowers. Visitors around the world visit this famous Jammu Kashmir place to enjoy hiking, pony rides, and nature walks in addition to skiing and snowboarding. This beautiful town is just 48 km away from the city of Srinagar, which makes it an easy day trip from there. The drive is scenic, with views of the Himalayas along the way.
Top 5 Things To Do In Gulmarg
- Have a wonderful dining experience at the World’s largest Igloo Cafe in Gulmarg. Also referred to as “Snowglu”, this snowy cafe is located at the most popular ski resort of Gulmarg.
- Seek blessings at St. Mary’s Church, Maharani Temple, and Baba Reshi Shrine
- A long nature walk at the lush green mountains of Gulmarg and valleys will make your trip to Gulmarg definitely worth it.
- Horse riding at the beautiful trails of Gulmarg that offer stunning views of the valleys with well-trained and sure-footed horses.
- Trek up to Khilanmarg which is a particularly popular hike with amazing views of the forests and valleys that are full of wildflowers.
Top Sights To See – Gulmarg Gondola, Alpather Lake, Gulmarg Golf Course, Drung Waterfall, Gulmarg Biosphere Reserve, Strawberry Vallery, Children’s Park
Best Time To Visit – April to June (pleasant), October to March (snow)
3. Pahalgam – Village of Shepherds
Amongst the best places to visit in Jammu and Kashmir, Pahalgam is a stunning town and a tourist destination in the Anantnag district of J&K. This spectacular place is located on the banks of the Lidder River with lush green valleys, hotels and resorts to stay for tourists. Many Hindu pilgrims from around the world travel to Pahalgam and other important places in Jammu and Kashmir. Pahalgam houses a stunning Golf Course, which is one of the most picturesque golf courses in the world.
Top 5 Things To Do In Pahalgam
- A thrilling adventure of river rafting at the Lidder river, surrounded by mountains, lush forests.
- Make your trip to these beautiful Kashmir best places more exciting by doing trout fishing at the Lidder River.
- Spend a few hours at the Pahalgam Golf Club and lighten up your mood amidst the beautiful weather and mother nature.
- Set a camp in the hills of Aru Valley and enjoy several activities like fishing, trekking, and horse-riding.
- Shop beautiful accessories, merchandise, dry fruits and handicrafts at the shopping places of Pahalgam like Chandanwari Main Market
Top Sights To See – Aru Valley, Betaab Valley, Chandanwari, Lidder River, Baisaran, Kolahoi Glacier, Lidder Amusement Park, Mamleshwar Temple
Best Time To Visit – March to June
4. Katra – Abode Of God
The natural beauty of Katra is breathtaking and it is no wonder that is one of the best places in Jammu and Kashmir. Vaishno Devi Temple in Katra, Jammu is one of the most visited pilgrimages in India. More than a million tourists come around every year to pay respect and worship the Hindu goddess Maa Vaishno Devi. The town is surrounded by snow-capped mountains and the views are simply stunning. This alluring town houses blissful botanical gardens, that preserves a variety of plants and flowers.
Top 5 Things To Do In Katra
- White-water rafting in between the sparkling waves of River Chenab in Katra.
- Night trekking in the beautiful hills of Katra under the sparkling stars and natural moonlight with your friends and family.
- Shop woollen clothes at affordable prices from Jij-Chowk, Kundorian.
- Stroll around the Nau Devi Cave Temple which is 200-years-old.
- Visit Jhajjar Kotli with your friends and family which is a famous Kashmir tourist spot.
Top Sights To See – Vaishno Devi, Shalimar Park, Banganga Temple, Chintamani Dharamshala, Shri Durga Ji Palace, Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Spiritual Growth Centre
Best Time To Visit – March to November
5. Patnitop – Pond of the Princess
One of the most beautiful places in Kashmir, Patnitop is a picturesque hill station in Jammu & Kashmir that offers mesmerizing views. Surrounded by lush greenery, Patnitop is best known for its natural beauty and other landmarks near Patnitop. From the scenic viewpoint to ancient temples and tranquil backdrop, the place takes care of a variety of flora and fauna. This hilltop tourist attraction is one of the famous tourist places in Jammu and Kashmir. So plan a trip to Patnitop to escape the hustle and bustle of city life and relax in nature’s tranquillity.
Top 5 Things To Do In Patnitop
- Enter Nathatop while trekking from Patnitop and enjoy the beautiful views of snow-capped mountains.
- Stopover by the 600-years-old Naag Mandir and seek blessings.
- Experience paragliding at the “Billo Di Powerpoint” tourist spot which is best known for its adventure activities.
- Head over to Sanasar for a picnic and horse riding.
- Set up your camp near Mantalai Lake and enjoy the best views of mother nature.
Top Sights To See – Billo Ki Powri, Sudhmahadev, Skyview by Empyrean, Nathatop, Sanasar Lake, Naag Mandir, Madhatop, Shiva Garh, Patnitop Circular Road
Best Time To Visit – April to June
6. Sonamarg – Meadow of Gold
One of the Jammu and Kashmir beautiful places, the stunning landscapes and pristine surroundings makes Sonamarg a paradise for tourists. The place is best known for its high altitude location and is derived from two words: “sona” which means gold and “marg” which means valley. The meadows of Sonamarg are covered with a carpet of wildflowers, and the area is surrounded by snowy mountains. The high altitude location makes it a favourite destination for adventure seekers and nature lovers.
Top 5 Things To Do In Sonamarg
- Plan a day for trekking at the Machoi Peak, Amarnath Peak, Sirbal Peak, or Kolahoi Peak.
- Stop by the Satsar Lake with your fam-jam and click Instagram perfect pictures with a beautiful backdrop.
- Head over to Gangabal Lake which lies at the foothills of Mount Harmukh and plan a trek with your friends and family.
- Experience fishing with your friends and family at the Krishna Sar Lake which is also known as the “Lake of Lord Krishna”
- Stroll by the Baltal Valley and spend a wonderful time amidst the beauty of nature.
Top Sights To See – Zoji La, Gadsar Lake, Vishansar Lake, Satsar Lake, Baltal Valley, Thajiwas Glacier, Nilagrad River, Gangabal Trek, Kashmir Great Lake Treks
Best Time To Visit – March to May and October to November
7. Anantnag – Granary Of The Kashmir Valley
An enchanting town that is one of the best Jammu and Kashmir places to visit. Anantnag is truly blessed with natural beauty and has a large number of temples, which are visited by devotees from all over the country. And not just the beauty, the place is also known for its handicrafts. The locals are experts in weaving carpets, shawls, and other items of textile art. Moreover, tasting the variety of dishes in this region is total bliss. The town is located in a serene and peaceful setting, and the views of the Himalayas are simply breathtaking.
Top 5 Things To Do In Anantnag
- Head over to the ancient Hindu Martand Sun Temple that dates back to the 8th century
- Stop by Baisaran which is covered with pine and deodar trees, which makes it an ideal place for nature lovers.
- Explore the Lal Chowk which is also known as the “Mall Road Of Kashmir”
- Stop for blessings at the 600 years old Mosque – Masjid Baba Dawood Khaki.
- Shop Kashmiri handicrafts and accessories at the Reshi Bazaar, Jaglat Mandi, Iqbal Market, KP Road.
Top Sights To See – Botanical Garden Kokernag, Sheshnag Lake, Martand Sun Temple, Chandanwari, Baisaran, Aishmuqam Shrine
Best Time To Visit – May to October
8. Amarnath – Home of Lord Shiva
The Amarnath temple is one of the most revered temples in India and is one of the famous tourist attractions in Jammu and Kashmir, contributing greatly to tourism in India. The Amarnath pilgrimage is visited by millions of pilgrims every year. The picturesque landscape around the Amarnath temple is simply breathtaking and the river flowing through the valley makes it pure heaven on Earth to visit. This ancient Hindu temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is one of the most popular pilgrimage destinations in India.
Top 5 Things To Do In Amarnath
- Start the trek to Amarnath from Baltal and Pahalgam
- Join the Amarnath Yatra with thousands of pilgrims to get the blessings of Lord Shiva.
- Hop in a helicopter from Baltal trek and land near the Amarnath Cave
- Shop all the necessities for trekking and warm clothes from Pahalgam as that is where the trek starts.
- Enjoy the free food service for Amarnath pilgrims at Kathri
Top Sights To See – Amarnath Cave, Baltal Amarnath Trek, Gangabal Trek, Amarnath Temple, Amarnath Peak
Best Time To Visit – May to September
9. Yusmarg – The Meadow of Jesus
Amongst the best tourist destinations in Jammu and Kashmir, Yusmarg is another such beauty that is best known for its picturesque backdrops. The place offers opportunities for a wide range of outdoor activities like trekking, fishing, camping, and skiing. The best time to visit Yusmarg is during the spring and autumn seasons when the weather is mild and pleasant. If you are looking for some perfect places to visit in Jammu and Kashmir, Yusmarg is one off-the-beaten-path destination that is definitely going to make your Jammu Kashmir trip worthwhile.
Top 5 Things To Do In Yusmarg
- Take a walk in absolute serenity and stroll between the beautiful roads surrounded by long trees and hills.
- Take a pony ride from Doodhganga which costs no more than INR 150 per person.
- Find peace and feel your inner self at Neelnag Lake which is no less than a dreamy place.
- Relish on spicy curries, dishes and tea at the small food eateries that come on the way.
- Visit the Charar-e-Sharief which is another ancient shrine near the valley of Yusmarg.
Top Sights To See – Charar-e-Sharief, Neelnag Lake, Doodhganga, Hirpora Wildlife Sanctuary, Doodhpathri, Tatakooti Peak
Best Time To Visit – March to September
10. Bhaderwah – The Mini Kashmir
A beautiful little town that is amongst the best Jammu and Kashmir destinations, Bhaderwah is often referred to as “Mini Kashmir.” The place is surrounded by lofty mountains, thick forests, and pristine rivers, making it one of the most picturesque places in the region. Bhaderwah’s handicrafts are also quite popular, with intricate wood carvings and embroidery being some of the most notable examples. If you’re looking for a peaceful and serene place to relax and unwind, then Bhaderwah is definitely worth a visit.
Top 5 Things To Do In Bhaderwah
- Visit the Vasuki Nag Temple and Gupt Ganga Temple which dates back to the 11th century.
- Go horse riding or just experience the best of nature at the Chinta Valley.
- Set up your camp at the Seoj Dhar which is one of the famous places in Jammu and Kashmir for camping.
- Click Instagrammable pictures in the alluring hamlet of Sartingal that is surrounded by streams, forests, hills, and wildflowers.
- Have the most aromatic Rogan Josh, Yakhni, Pulao, and Rajma Chawal at the street eateries of Bhaderwah.
Top Sights To See – Jai Ghati, Padri Pass, Chandi Mata Temple, Bhaderwah Fort, Vasuki Nag Temple, Gupt Ganga Temple, Chinta Valley
Best Time To Visit – April to July
11. Sanasar – Adventure Capital Of Jammu & Kashmir
The beauty of Sanasar lies in its serene and peaceful surroundings, which are perfect for a relaxing holiday. Sanasar is a valley located in the state of Jammu and Kashmir. The valley is well-known for its apple orchards, which are in full bloom during the autumn months. The apples from Sanasar are considered to be some of the best in India. Apart from apples, the valley has many other fruit trees, such as apricots, pears and plums. It is one of the best picnic spots in Jammu and Kashmir and you’re sure to fall in love with this beautiful town.
Top 5 Things To Do In Sanasar
- Explore the rocky regions of Sanasar and experience the fun of rock climbing with your friends at the WAC.
- Buy souvenirs for your family and friends at home from the shopping places of Sanasar. Do not forget to buy famous woollen scarves and caps.
- Sit and meditate by the peaceful small pond, Surni Kund.
- Visit the 500 years old ancient Hindu temple, the Shank Pal Temple to seek blessings.
- Stroll around the 9 hole Golf Course in Sanasar.
Top Sights To See – Shank Pal Temple, Naag Mandir, Golf Course Sanasar, Wilderness Adventure Camp (WAC), Surni Kund
Best Time To Visit – April to June
12. Khilanmarg – The House of Frozen Lake
Another pristine beauty and one of the famous places in Jammu and Kashmir picturesque location with snow-capped Himalayan peaks in the backdrop. This place in Jammu and Kashmir can make all your snowy fantasies come true. Tourists can enjoy trekking, skiing and horse riding here. The people of Khilanmarg are warm and hospitable and they provide a homely atmosphere to the visitors. The serenity and the natural beauty of Khilanmarg are sure to make you fall in love.
Top 5 Things To Do In Khilanmarg
- Hop on the 2nd highest cable car in the world, Gondola Cable Car and enjoy spectacular unseen views.
- See the beauty of Alpather Lake which is also known as the “Frozen Lake.”
- Go Skiing in winter at the most popular Skiing spot in Khilanmarg
- Go trout fishing near Ferozepur Nallah which is a peaceful spot to spend some quality time with mother nature.
- Head over to Saint Mary’s Church which is just 22 km away from the Khilanmarg.
Top Sights To See – Gondola Cable Car, Alpather Lake, Ferozpur Nallah, St. Mary Chuch, the Ningli Nallah, Shrine of Baba Reshi, Maharani Temple
Best Time To Visit – November to February
13. Baltal – Amarnath Yatra Camp Point
An alluring village surrounded by captivating natural beauty, Baltal is one of the famous tourist places in Jammu and Kashmir. The locals are warm and hospitable, and the place is perfect for those who are looking for some peace and quiet environment. The village offers stunning views of the Zabarwan mountain range and the Dal Lake. It houses a number of temples and shrines, including the shrine of Amarnath. If you’re looking for a place to relax and take in the natural beauty of Jammu & Kashmir, Baltal is definitely worth a visit.
Top 5 Things To Do In Baltal
- Photography in the beautiful valleys of Baltal with stunning backdrops.
- Indulge in white water rafting, hiking, and trekking in the hills of Sonmarg.
- Savour Jammu-Kashmir special Maggi at the small eateries in Baltal.
- Hire a pony from the Baltal Valley to reach Amarnath Caves.
- Adventure enthusiasts can experience various water sports and other activities at the valleys of Baltal.
Top Sights To See – Pahalgam, Sonmarg, Amarnath Temple, Gadsar Lake, Vishansar Lake, Baltal Valley
Best Time To Visit – May to September
14. Pulwama – Rice Bowl Of Kashmir
The scenic beauty of Pulwama, located in the southernmost part of Jammu & Kashmir, is mesmerizing. Lying on the banks of river Jehlum, it is surrounded by snow-capped mountains and lush green forests. Pulwama is known for its picturesque landscape and serene environment, making it one of the famous Jammu and Kashmir places to visit. One can enjoy a number of activities in Pulwama such as trekking, camping, fishing and river rafting.
Top 5 Things To Do In Pulwama
- See the glorious and majestic waterfall at the Aharbal Waterfalls, just 75 km away from Srinagar.
- Explore the rich flora and fauna at the Shikargah that is surrounded by the mountains of Wasturwan, and Kherwon.
- Visit the beautiful historical site, Avantishwar Temple which dates back to the 9th century.
- Spot wildlife at the Dachigam National Park.
- Roam around the Twin Lakes, Marsar Lake and Tarsar Lake that lies in between the Himalayan ranges.
Top Sights To See – Tarsar Lake, Aharbal Waterfall, Jama Masjid Shopian, Avantishwar Temple, Payer Temple, Shrine of Syed Hassan Mantaqui
Best Time To Visit – April to October
15. Hemis – The Colourful Town
Known for its natural beauty, Hemis is a small village located in the Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir. Perfect for Kashmir sightseeing, Hemis is particularly famous for its annual Hemis festival which celebrates the birth of the Tibetan god, Padmasambhava. During the festival, locals and tourists from all over the world come to admire the traditional dances and costumes of the region. Hemis is also a great place for outdoor enthusiasts. There are plenty of hiking trails and biking routes in the area, as well as opportunities for a rafting trip down the Indus River.
Top 5 Things To Do In Hemis
- Take a 1-day trip to the largest national park in India, Hemis National Park.
- Visit the 17th-century Buddhist monastery that is most popular among tourists for the annual festival.
- Meditate, learn and pray at the Gotsang Gompa which is amongst the peaceful places in Hemis.
- Shop Buddhist paintings, handicrafts, clothing and accessories from the small shops at the roadside.
- Enjoy lip-smacking local Tibetan cuisine while your homestay in the Hemis area.
Top Sights To See – Hemis High Altitude Wildlife Sanctuary, Hemis Monastery, Gotsang Gompa, Stakna Gompa, Shang Gompa
Best Time To Visit – June to mid-October
Do you feel like flying to this paradise after reading all the Jammu-Kashmir visiting places? Well, we can totally relate! Tourist places in Jammu and Kashmir are no less than heaven. From the snow-capped Himalayas in the north to the lush green valleys in the south, Jammu and Kashmir have something for all. So get your flights to Jammu booked today with us and simply relax in the stunning scenery of famous places in Jammu and Kashmir. Call our travel experts at Travanya now and get packing for the most memorable trip of your life.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Which are the must-try dishes of Jammu and Kashmir?
Answer: Mutton Rogan Josh, Paneer Chaman, Kashmiri Saag, Nadru Yakhni, Chicken Pulao, Kashmiri Rajma, and Dum Aalu are some of the popular dishes in Jammu Kashmir places.
Q: Is it safe to travel to Jammu and Kashmir with family?
Answer: Yes! All the above-mentioned tourist places in Jammu and Kashmir are safe to travel to with friends and family. However, entering the high-security area is not recommended and can lead to trouble for tourists.
Q: Which are the famous places to visit near Jammu Airport in a day?
Answer: Head over to Bagh-e-Bahu, Sher-e-Kashmir University, Ranbireshwar Temple, Manda National Park, and Raghunath Temple are some of the places that can be covered in a day near Jammu Airport.
Q: What are the famous shopping places in Jammu and Kashmir?
Answer: Raghunath Bazaar, Wave Mall, Kashmir Government Arts Emporium, City Square Mall, JDA Complex, Vermani Wold and Wave Mall are some of the famous places to shop in Jammu and Kashmir.
Q: What are the best 5-star hotels to stay in Jammu and Kashmir?
Answer: The Lalit Grand Palace in Srinagar, Vivanta Dal View in Srinagar, Welcome Hotel by ITC in Pahalgam, and Regenta Central Point in Srinagar are the best hotels in Jammu and Kashmir for a luxurious stay.
Pawanpreet is a versatile content writer and editor who enjoys experimenting with various niches of writing. Her keen eye for detail and love for thorough research helps her create high-quality content to outweigh clickbait. She extensively works for digital marketing and manages clients that range from travel to luxury goods. Her creativity is fueled by her love for learning new things, travelling, and the environment. Also, she is a free soul and an avid animal lover who believes in doing everything with a smile 🙂