15 Types Of Travel Bags To Buy For Your Vacation in 2022
Posted on Thursday, January 13th, 2022 by Pawanpreet Kaur Leave a Comment
What do you think would be the best way to carry all your traveling gear as you explore the beauty and wonders of the world? A super comfy travel bag ofcourse! Travellers love to use different modes of transport; trains, buses, planes, boats and cars. No matter what mode of transport they opt for, one thing that remains constant is their travel bag and suitcases. However, the type of travel bags may differ from one to another.
Whether you want a travel bag for men or travel bags for women, a variety of sizes and shapes can be seen both online and in stores. There is something for everyone from those who travel once or twice a year, to those that travel more frequently. If you are an avid traveller and want to invest in a high-quality travel bag or luggage that will take care of your belongings, we have the perfect list for you. From including the ability to be more efficient when packing and having everything easily accessible whenever required, we will guide you with the right thing to choose from.
So before heading out on your big adventure, keep our following list in mind when choosing your perfect traveling bags.
1. Backpack Travel Bag
A suitable travel bag for men and women both, backpack travelling bags are considered great for hiking or camping trips. The backpack bags for travel are just perfect for a short trip or when you only need a specific amount of things with you. These types of travel bags have become popular as they provide comfort and give extra support to carry heavier items such as books for some. Following are the few pros and cons of using travel backpacks:
- One of the best travel bags; travel backpacks saves space as you won’t require separate bags for different items like books, laptops, clothes, etc.
- Backpacks travelling bags are more organized; there is a separate pocket for every item so it’s easy to find things.
- One can adjust this travel bag according to their body type while handbags do not accommodate anyone other than one’s comfort.
- Backpacks are not that comfortable to use for longer periods of time; they give a lot of pressure on the shoulders and back. They may cause neck problems like sprain, etc. if loaded heavily.
2. Wheeled Backpack
Wheeled backpack or travel bag with wheels, this type of travel bag works great when you plan to walk for a long time with something on your back. Some prefer to carry a travel bag on their backs as it facilitates going up and downstairs. Others who have bigger loads use daypacks to avoid anything on their back at all times. The choice is very personal and depends on individual preferences, but there comes situations when you definitely need a wheeled backpack.
- Carrying weight all the way is not convenient and in some cases impossible. Which is when we can use wheeled backpacks.
- They help us carry heavy things more easily and they also ease walking up and down stairs that you might encounter during your journey.
- It also helps people who suffer from back problems or who have balance issues as it relieves most of the weight from their bodies.
- Some airlines will consider it as check-in baggage or simply won’t accept it at all as they do not think it fits their rules concerning flight luggage.
3. Travel Totes
Keeping aside the gender stereotypes, this is an ideal travel bag for men and women to carry daily essentials. Travel totes bags are indeed spacious, convenient, and versatile. From using it as a carry-on bag for flights to using it as a purse for everyday use, travel totes are one of the best travel bags that looks cool on all men, women, girls, and kids. They come in so many different shapes and sizes, and you can pick and choose the ones that suit your needs best. But there are also some pros and cons of travel totes that you should know before you buy.
- Lightweight traveling bags, you’ll be surprised at how much more space there is in a tote than a traditional purse once all the unnecessary things have been set aside.
- Since most totes close via zipper or button rather than with a buckle or snap, it’s harder for pickpockets to slip anything out unnoticed.
- They’re also very affordable. Even if you do spend a bit more on specialized totes such as camera carry-on bags or laptop totes, you’ll probably still spend less than what you would have spent on a designer handbag.
- Since most totes tend to have fewer compartments than backpacks or messenger bags, things could easily get mixed up or lost inside if items aren’t properly folded.
4. Travel Duffel Bags/Weekender
Travel Duffel bags are large, cylindrical bags with two handles that come together to form a shoulder strap. These travel bags were originally used for carrying sports equipment or laundry but have since evolved into a style of luggage in their own right. The distinct shape and design of duffel bags carry an inherent advantage over other styles of luggage because they can be compressed when empty making them easier to store.
- Cheaper and more durable traveling bags than most other styles of luggage. Duffel bags are the ideal travel bags for men as they come with multiple compartments for organization.
- If you anticipate rough baggage handling during the trip, then a duffel bag might be the right choice. They are typically constructed with a thick polyester material making them both durable and waterproof which makes them an excellent choice for expeditions or outdoor activities.
- The travel duffel bags can be compressed when empty allowing them to take up less space when not in use.
- The shape is awkward for some styles of packing and limits the number of items you can pack compared to other types of travel bags.
5. Rolling Travel Bags For Men/Women
Rolling travel bags or travel trolley bags are designed to allow you to roll them instead of carrying them on your back. They make it easy for you to get around with all of your belongings in one place and they don’t put a lot of strain on your body like other types of travel bags can do. With proper care (not leaving them out in the rain overnight etc), decent models can last for at least a couple of years – or even more!
- Rolling travel bags are lightweight and easy to manoeuvre in crowded areas. You can even control it by yourself, pulling both the handlebar and the bag itself.
- Unlike other heavy conventional suitcases, there is no “maximum size” of rolling luggage – you can get everything from smaller ones to monster size bags.
- Easier to lift when they need to be put into storage (buses, planes), or onto high shelves at home or in shops.
- Hard-shelled models are heavier than soft ones, and this also depends on whether they’re made from light plastic or solid steel. Plus, these traveling bags won’t fit underneath your seat unless you get one of the very compact models (which costs more).
6. Hardside Luggage with Spinner Wheel
Hardside luggage with spinner wheels is a type of carry-on luggage where the four corners and bottom of the case are covered with a hard material such as aluminum or ABS plastic. Even though these cases are durable, they still remain lightweight because most of them do not exceed 8 pounds. Moreover, it’s easy to move around with these suitcases because of their built-in 360 degree turning spinner wheels. However, there are some pros and cons that you need to consider before purchasing this type of travel bag.
- The hardshell exterior and the internal plastic board of this travel bag makes it very durable to carry-on luggage, especially when bumping around at airports.
- Most hard-side luggage with spinner wheels has a special locking system that keeps your belongings safe as well as the TSA approved locks which you can set up on your own suitcase.
- These travel bags are designed like smaller versions of check-in luggage because they come with dimensions that adhere to airline restrictions.
- The biggest hardship is the travel bag price. You will mostly find hard side luggage with spinner wheels at premium rates only.
7. Messenger Bag
The old backpack that has just made a comeback, the messenger bag is portable, comfortable to wear and even fashionable at times. While the pros of wearing these bags are many, there are some cons as well which should be taken into consideration before deciding to use one. When it comes to picking out the right bag choose ones that have wide, padded straps since it will distribute the weight more evenly when carried around and won’t cut into the shoulders.
- Messenger bags open from the top. This allows for easier access to all of your things, especially in a pinch when you need something urgently.
- These traveling bags are worn on one shoulder which means that weight distribution is uniform across both shoulders and back muscles don’t get strained by carrying heavy loads on one side only.
- The old-school look of messenger bags makes them less cumbersome and demanding than most backpacks; however, they allow enough space for all your needs.
- Messenger bags are easy to steal, especially if you are commuting via bike or bus. You need to be extra careful since the bag is usually placed on one shoulder and it’s easily accessible from behind.
8. Laptop Bag
Considering buying a laptop bag? There are so many to choose from, and they come in all different shapes and sizes that it’s really hard to know the best option. But, just make sure that every laptop bag needs to have: padding. The first thing that will probably happen if you put your laptop in a bad is that it’ll get dented or broken because there was no cushioning between it. So make sure your traveling bag has enough padding to keep your computer safe.
- They stay on your shoulder so you don’t have to worry about them falling off when running or biking.
- Fashionable and lightweight as compared to other types of travel bags. These also include different compartments that allow you to store everything you need.
- An easy-breezy way to carry your daily necessities or hold your books.
- Since it has no hard frame, there is less protection You have to be careful what you set this bag down on because it can easily be crushed.
9. Dopp Kit
A portable traveling bag that holds all your essential items and keeps them neat and organized. If you’re a young traveller or someone who’s just starting out their journey into the world then Dopp kits are perfect for you. These travel toiletry bags are usually made of leather and it’s best to look for hand-stitched and top quality leather because it will last longer than regular ones. And make sure to buy one that has multiple pockets, since this toiletry bag will keep your stuff organized even more.
- Dopp kit travel bags usually have a lot of pockets and compartments, basically like your own little travel storage. It keeps everything neat for easy access when you need something.
- Dopp kits are mainly durable as they are made of high-quality materials. You can pick an American Tourister travel bag for better quality.
- Strong stitching makes it last longer, and ever for years if handled carefully. When choosing travel bags online, look at the company or brand that makes them – are they are well-known.
- It’s not secure enough to carry some of your items like tablets, phones etc. It makes it difficult to move around because of its size.
10. Garment Bag
A convenient traveling bag that many people use to transport their clothes and other personal items easily. The garment bag can be divided into two sections: one section for clothes and another section for makeup or shoes. This makes it easy to carry the clothes and the shoes separated. There are several advantages you can get if you choose clothing as your travelling companion like keeping them cleaner for a longer period of time.
- A garment bag saves your clothes from bad dust, dirt, germs, etc., for a longer time. In case you have an important event to attend after coming back from far away, your clothes will be cleaner and fresher to wear in this traveling bag.
- This travel bag usually contains a long handle so it is very easy for you to carry around or hang it anywhere on bus, train, plane, etc. Also, this kind of garment bag usually has a zipper on the front part so you can open it easily without any problem even when you are in a hurry.
- You can transfer some necessary clothes into this garment bag and put them inside your suitcase while only taking important cloth needed by hanging in this garment bag.
- Garment bag usually has a large size so when you bring this kind of bag in your travel it will make the luggage you carry bulkier. Sometimes it is difficult to be placed in a limited space in the car or in a small room in a hotel where you stay during a trip.
11. Fanny Pack
Super convenient travel bag for men and women, fanny pack travel bags are the modern version of the simple fanny packs for runners, but they still function quite like their predecessors. Made for outdoor activities, these sporty carrying cases are worn around the waist and can be secured with a strap or buckle. The hip belt is outfitted with pockets that provide storage places for cell phones, wallets, keys, money, and other small items you want to take along on your journey.
- The fanny pack traveling bags may be the most versatile option that hikers have for transportation of their gear.
- These small travel bags even come with zipper compartments where you could put your bigger objects away safely.
- They are easy to wear, not expensive, and can hold a lot of things.
- For backpackers who really work up a sweat while hiking, wearing a fanny pack may feel like torture. If you’re planning on carrying your own weight all day long without any help from another person, then you’ll likely want to skip over the fanny pack.
12. Vintage Suitcase
A vintage travel suitcase is the kind of traveling bag that is sure to make you stand out when travelling. If you are into vintage items or are just looking for a suitcase with style, here’s what you need to know about owning one. One of the reasons people love vintage travel suitcases so much is because they have classic looks. The design makes them aesthetically appealing and can be used by both men and women no matter what age group they fall in.
- It comes with good quality zippers, strong frames, tight seams, etc., that are guaranteed not to break easily even if they are used as checked luggage or as a carry-on.
- One of the best things about owning one is that vintage suitcases aren’t as expensive as those brand new ones with designer labels.
- If you want something that is different from the usually imprinted travel bags everyone has now, vintage suitcases are perfect for you.
- Vintage suitcases aren’t exactly new so there’s a good chance they might look old and tattered. Once it starts to show its age, this can affect the aesthetics of your things when you’re travelling.
13. Travel Trunk
First and foremost, a travel trunk is very useful. Travel trunks for luggage were used in the early 20th century to carry belongings over long distances. The main purpose of a trunk was to store and protect belongings during train or steamer journeys. Nowadays, people can use them not only as a travel accessory but also as storage furniture in the living room after removing all contents. Now let’s check some pros and cons of travel trunks
- They come in a variety of sizes so you can choose the smallest one as a memento from your travels. You can even find huge ones that are used for commercial purposes to transport goods, equipment etc.
- Mainly made of highly durable materials like wood covered by leather or high-quality cloth. The quality of the materials will keep your belongings well protected during transportation even in bad weather conditions.
- Mainly heavier and bulkier to carry from one place to another. Also, it’s hard to find a good storage solution for clothes.
14. Rolling Duffel Bags
A duffle rolling bag is a great type of travel bag for those looking for an easy way to transport their belongings while travelling. They are typically made of durable materials, such as canvas or polyester, which makes them resistant to wear and tear. These types of travel bags are made to be easy to carry around, as they can be used both as a backpack or a with a wheeled base so you can roll it along.
- Super easy to roll travelling bag as you won’t get tired when carrying it around.
- This type of travel bag comes in a variety of sizes, so you can find one that is perfect for your needs.
- If you are looking for an easy-to-carry and easy-to-roll bag for your next trip, then a duffle rolling
- This type of travel bag can be quite heavy when filled with belongings. Additionally, they can be difficult to store when not in use.
15. Packing Cubes Bag
A packing cube bag is a type of travel bag that is made up of several fabric-lined compartments. These compartments help to organize and pack your belongings, which can then be easily transported and unpacked. Packing cube bags come in a variety of different sizes and shapes, making them a versatile option for any traveller. Additionally, they are often less expensive than traditional suitcases, making them a great option for those on a budget.
- If you’re looking for an easy way to organize your belongings while travelling, this type of travel bag is a perfect solution.
- This type of travel bag will help you keep your belongings in an organised way when you’ll be wrapped up with work during the trip.
- This travelling bag is also handy for storing clothes in your closet or for taking with you on trips.
- They can take up a lot of space in your luggage, which can be a problem if you’re trying to pack light.
Hope you are able to make up your mind by now and have decided which travel bag will fit your travel needs. Whether it’s a backpacking trip or a safari adventure, travellers always make sure that they pack all their essentials carefully in their traveling bags. Also, one important thing that you need to decide upon when shopping for your new travel bag for men and women is whether it will be checked luggage or carry-on. If it’s your first time travelling by plane you must be having a lot of questions running to your mind. But do not worry! Call our travel experts at Travanya at +91-800-023-5865 for more information on the baggage allowance and standard carry-on luggage.
Frequently Asked Questions
Que: Which type of travel bag saves the best space?
Answer: Duffle or Weekender bags, roller-bag, and carry-on luggage are the most preferred by travellers when it comes to space.
Que: What size luggage should I buy according to airline limits?
Answer: The rules may vary from one airline to another, but the main idea is to not exceed a certain weight and size. Most airlines have a standard of 45 inches when it comes to linear dimensions for carry-on baggage. For example, if you are looking to buy a rolling American Tourister travel bag then it would work best.
Que: Which brand has the most expensive/luxury travel bags?
Answer: Samsonite, Rimowa, Globe-trotter, and Louis Vuitton luggage has the best quality travel bags.
Que: Where can I buy travel bags online?
Answer: Whether you want travel bags for men or travel bags for women, Amazon and Flipkart travel bags has the best collection.
Que: What are the best travel bags brands in India?
Answer: Skybag, Wildcraft travel bag, Tommy Hilfiger, Princeware, Tumi, and American Tourister are some of the most popular travel bags brands in India.
Pawanpreet is a versatile content writer and editor who enjoys experimenting with various niches of writing. Her keen eye for detail and love for thorough research helps her create high-quality content to outweigh clickbait. She extensively works for digital marketing and manages clients that range from travel to luxury goods. Her creativity is fueled by her love for learning new things, travelling, and the environment. Also, she is a free soul and an avid animal lover who believes in doing everything with a smile 🙂