Quick Facts Of 11 Most Popular Domestic Airlines In India
Posted on Wednesday, March 16th, 2022 by Pawanpreet Kaur 2 comments
The history of domestic airlines in India can be traced back to 1946 when Airways India was established as a joint venture between Tata Sons and BOAC, which was later nationalized in 1953. In 1955, Indian Airlines was set up as the national carrier. The early years of domestic airline operations in India were marked by a number of challenges, including the shortage of pilots and aircraft, the absence of adequate infrastructure and regulation, and the lack of a viable business model.
Today, the list of best airlines in India has remarkably increased and a number of private airlines are operating in India. This list of domestic airlines in India have played a key role in the growth of the Indian aviation sector, and have helped to make air travel more affordable for the average Indian. There is no doubt that India’s aviation sector is booming with top airlines in India and is offering significant potential for further growth.
The entry of private airlines, domestic airlines in India, liberalization of the sector, and investments in airport infrastructure have all played a key role in this growth. In addition, the average Indian is becoming increasingly aware of the benefits of air travel and is starting to use the best Indian airlines more frequently. This presents a great opportunity for the domestic airlines in India to grow and expand their operations. So let’s explore the list of airlines in India that are topping the charts and are offering the best flights in India.
1. Air India
The national carrier of India. headquartered in Mumbai, Air India is the country’s largest airline by passengers carried and also its oldest airline. Today it is one of the top airlines in India that serves 103 destinations in total. Air India serves the best flight in India and has its primary hub in Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi, and secondary in Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport, Mumbai, Air India provides a number of facilities to its passengers while travelling. These include:
- In-flight entertainment where passengers in Air India can access their personal screens and listen to music
- On-demand food and beverage service where passengers can order food and beverages from their seat
- Wi-Fi connectivity where passengers can stay connected to the internet during their flight.
- Power sockets where they can charge their electronic devices during the flight
3 Facts About Air India Airlines
- The airline was founded on 1 August 1932 as Tata Airlines, a division of the Tata Sons conglomerate. The carrier operated its first flight in December 1932 from Karachi to Mumbai.
- In January 1933, the airline began operations from Delhi to Ambala. On 8 October 1938, it became the first Indian airline to fly international routes following inaugural services to Bangkok and Singapore
- The airline underwent a merger with Indian Airlines in 2007. The two carriers subsequently merged into a single company in 2011.
2. Indigo Airlines
Founded in 1992, Indigo Airlines is India’s first low-cost and one of the best airlines in India. It is headquartered in Mumbai and flies to over 96 destinations. Indigo is known for its reliable and affordable service and has been voted the best low-cost airline in Asia by several travel magazines. Today, it is listed under one of the top airlines in India and is a popular choice for budget-conscious travellers. One of the top 10 airlines in India, Indigo has top-notch facilities that will ensure your travel experience is as comfortable as possible. Such as-
- Friendly and professional cabin crew that caters to passengers’ in-flight queries very significantly.
- Offers a variety of food and beverage options, so you can enjoy a delicious meal on your flight.
- The meals offered by Indigo airlines can be purchased on-board or can be pre-booked on the time of reserving tickets.
3 Facts About Indigo Airlines
- From the Indian airlines list, Indigo Airlines operates a fleet of more than 250 aircraft, making it one of the largest operators of Airbus and ATR aircraft in India.
- Indigo airlines was founded in 2006 by Rakesh Gangwal and Rahul Bhatia, both of whom had extensive experience in the aviation industry.
- Besides being one of the best airlines in India, Indigo Airlines is a publicly listed company, and its shares are traded on the Bombay Stock Exchange and National Stock Exchange of India.
3. Spicejet Airlines
Amongst the top airlines in India, SpiceJet is the country’s second-largest airline in terms of passenger carry and market share. The airline was founded in 2005 by Ajay Singh, who had earlier co-founded IndiGo Airlines. It has its primary hub in Delhi at Indira Gandhi International Airport and additional hubs in Hyderabad and Mumbai. Moreover, when it comes to facilities and services, SpiceJet Airlines offers a lot of them. From comfortable seating arrangements to in-flight entertainment, the airline provides a lot more facilities such as:
- Passengers can enjoy delicious meals onboard SpiceJet flights. Plus, there is a wide variety of beverages available too.
- Passengers can watch movies, listen to music, and more on their personal screens while flying with SpiceJet.
- Stay connected to the internet even while in the air by using SpiceJet’s onboard Wi-Fi service.
- The seats in SpiceJet’s aircraft are designed for maximum comfort so that you can relax and enjoy your flight.
3 Facts About SpiceJet Airlines
- The airline operates a fleet size of 102 aircraft, serving 53 destinations, including 10 international destinations.
- The airline became profitable for the first time in 2006. In March 2007, it placed an order for 40 Boeing 737 Next-Generation aircraft.
- Besides being one of the popular domestic airlines in India, SpiceJet is a low-cost airline and is the perfect choice for budget-conscious travellers who want to enjoy a convenient air travel experience.
4. Air Asia India
Air Asia India is one of the top 10 airlines in India and is a low-cost airline headquartered in Chennai, India. The airline is a joint venture between Air Asia Investment Limited and Tata Sons, with Air Asia holding a 16.33% stake and Tata Sons holding the remaining 83.67% stake. Air Asia India operates a fleet size of 33 aircraft, serving 20 destinations across India. The primary hub of Air Asia India is in Bengaluru’s Kempegowda International Airport. This Indian airline offers a number of in-flight amenities which includes the following:
- Air Asia India let you choose from a variety of food options like vegetarian, non-vegetarian, nut-free, gluten-free, seafood, eggs, and dairy.
- This domestic airline in India also offers lounge facilities where passengers can enjoy free internet stations, read newspaper magazines, or can use charging ports.
- Air Asia’s Premium Flex facilities allow you to change your flight without any additional charges.
3 Facts About Air Asia India
- Air Asia India was founded on 28 March 2013 and started its operations on 12 June 2014, with the first flight from Chennai to Bangalore.
- Air Asia India offers a loyalty program called Air Asia big loyalty program which rewards passengers with points that can be redeemed for free flights and other benefits.
- Despite being one of the best airlines in India, the airline was once accused of influencing the Indian government on the relaxation of the 5/20 rule.
5. GoFirst Airline
One of the best domestic airlines in India, GoFirst Airlines is one of the most popular airlines in India. It offers a wide range of services to its passengers, which include air cargo, passenger and charter services. The airline operates from various airports in India with hubs in Delhi, Mumbai, Kannur, Hyderabad’s Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, Bengaluru. And Kolkata. Passengers travelling with GoFirst India Airlines can expect a hassle-free and enjoyable experience as it offers the following onboard facilities.
- All the aircraft of GoFirst Airlines are fitted with In-Flight Entertainment (IFE) systems that offer a wide range of movies, music and games to passengers.
- The seats in all the aircraft are spacious and comfortable, with ample legroom for passengers.
- Passengers can purchase food and drinks from the onboard menu during their flight.
3 Facts About GoFirst India
- The airline has received several awards and accolades over the years, including the ‘Best Airline Award’ by Skytrax in 2010.
- The airline flies to 38 destinations in total, covering 27 domestic and 11 international destinations.
- This Indian airline has been said to be the 5th largest carrier in India as it has a market share of around 8%.
6. Vistara Airlines
Amongst the best Indian airline companies, Vistara has smoothly made up some space in the list of airlines in India. The airline is an alliance between Tata Sons and Singapore Airlines and started its operations in January 2005. This Indian airline operates more than 400 flights per week to 43 destinations in 12 countries. The airline has a fleet of Airbus A320-200 aircraft which are configured in a two-class layout with 18 seats in business class and 144 seats in economy class. Other onboard facilities that can be found with Vistara flights are:
- Vistara also offers a food and beverage menu designed by celebrity chef Sanjeev Kapoor.
- Offers additional features such as extra legroom for those seated in economy class.
- The airline provides wifi access to all the passengers and allows them to stay updated with the Internet.
3 Facts About Vistara Airlines
- As per 2020 reports, Vistara Airlines has a revenue of more than USD 676.9 million dollars each year.
- The first Vistara aircraft was delivered to New Delhi on 25th September 2014 and today, it has a service fleet size of 51 aircraft.
- Tata holds 51% of shares in Vistara while Singapore Airlines hold 49% of the stake.
7. Air India Express
One of the best Indian airlines, Air India Express is based in Kochi, Kerala with Air India Limited being the parent company. The airline has its primary hub in Cochin International Airport and secondary hubs in Trivandrum, Calicut, Mangalore, Kannur, Tiruchirappalli. Air India Express was established on 29 April 2004 as a joint venture between Air India and Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Airways. In March 2005, Air India took full control of the airline. The airline’s first flight took off from Mumbai to Dubai on 1 May 2004. Some of the major facilities that it offers are as follows:
- Air India Express offers a basic in-flight service, which includes a hot meal, non-alcoholic beverages and entertainment.
- Passengers travelling on Air India Express can pre-book their meals online before departure. The airline offers a choice of three main meals: Indian, Asian and international.
- The airline provides inflight entertainment through its “Red Carpet” In-Flight Entertainment (IFE) system.
3 Facts About Air India Express
- This Indian airline has been recognised as the “Iconic Brand Of India – 2021” by the Economic Times.
- Air India Express has a history of 4 major accidents, that badly affected many lives.
- The airline has a profit of USD 67 million dollars each year with reported revenue of USD 480 million dollars.
8. TruJet Airlines
TruJet Airlines is one of the top airlines in India headquartered in Hyderabad, India. This regional airline operates scheduled passenger services to 20 destinations including Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Karnataka. The airline also offers charter services and is a subsidiary of the Air Deccan Group. This Indian airline has its main hub in Hyderabad’s Rajiv Gandhi International Airport and a secondary hub in Chennai International Airport and Ahmedabad Aiport. Passengers travelling with TruJet Airlines can expect an enjoyable experience with the following facilities:
- Comfortable seating in either economy or business class.
- In-flight entertainment, including movies, TV shows and music.
- Passengers can enjoy a live airshow during their flight.
3 Facts About TruJet Airlines
- Trujet airlines were founded on 14th March 2013 and it commenced operations on 12 July 2015.
- Turbo Megha Airways Pvt. Ltd is TruJet’s parent company and the Indian actor Ram Charan is the chairman of this Indian airline.
- 49% of Trujet’s stakes are owned by US firms which are announced on April 1, 2021.
9. Jet Airways
One of the best airlines when it comes to Indian airlines name, Jet Airways is a Mumbai based airline company that offers its passengers a number of in-flight facilities and services. It is one of the most preferred domestic airlines in India and is known for its comfortable seating and a variety of services. The airline company Jet Airways is headquartered in Delhi, India and was founded on 1 April 1992. Some of the in-flight facilities and services that Jet Airways offers to its passengers are as follows:
- Option to choose preferred seats which include comfortable and spacious seating.
- Jet Airways also has a special ‘Kids’ menu which offers children different types of food options that are both healthy and tasty.
- This Indian airline also offers its passengers the option to choose their preferred seats while booking their tickets.
3 Facts About Jet Airways
- Jet Airways was listed as a public company on 28 December 2004 and was also registered in the Bombay Stock Exchange.
- The airline has a history of 2 major incidents that happened due to bad weather conditions and lead to heavy losses.
- The current in-service fleet size is 8 with 5 Boeing 777-300ER, 2 Boeing 737-800, and 1 Boeing 737-900.
10. Star Air India
Definitely a great choice for travellers, Star Air India is a commuter airline based in Bangalore, Karnataka. The airline was founded in 2017 and it started its services in January 2019. With a fleet size of 5 aircraft, this Indian airline company serves 15 destinations in 8 states of India. The airlines’ parent company is Sanjay Ghodawat Group with Sanjay Ghodawat as Chairman and Simran Singh Tiwana as CEO. As per the news, the airline is planning to expand its operations to other destinations as well. Here are the various facilities that Star Air India offers.
- Offers spacious seating and plenty of legroom.
- Passengers can enjoy delicious food and drinks served by the airline’s friendly and professional crew.
- Friendly and professional service
3 Facts About Star Air India
- The first flight of Star Air India was departed on 25 January 2019 for Hubballi from Bangalore. Followed by the second flight to Tirupati on 1 February 2019.
- At present this Indian airline has just one type of aircraft ie. Embraer ERJ 145 LR that carries around 50 passengers.
- The airline’s operations come under the UDAN scheme of the Central Government.
11. Alliance Air
One of the popular domestic airlines in India, Alliance Air is a regional airline that operates in 47 destinations in the country. The airline also operates charter services and cargo services and is a subsidiary of the national carrier Air India. This Indian airline has its headquarters in Delhi and has a very good safety record with some of the most advanced aircraft in the world. Travellers can book their tickets on the airline’s website or through travel agents. They have a very friendly staff which makes travelling by Alliance Air Airlines a very pleasant experience.
- In-flight entertainment system with a range of movies, TV shows and music to choose from
- Wi-Fi connectivity to stay connected with the outside world
- Delicious food and beverages served onboard with attentive cabin crew
3 Facts About Alliance Air
- The airline was founded in 1996 as Indian Airlines Regional and operated regional services until it was renamed Alliance Air Airlines in 2007.
- The Alliance Air fleet has 20 in-service aircrafts such as ATR42-600, ATR72-600, and HALdo-228.
- AI Assets Holding Limited Company (AIAHL) is the parent company of Alliance Air India.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Which airline is best in India?
Answer: The above mentioned all airlines in India are performing very well but when it comes to convenient pricing, fleet management and other aspects, Indigo Airlines is considered the best.
Q: Can I get the list of international airlines in India?
Answer: There are more than 200 international airlines that operate in India. Some of the popular names include Air Canada, Air China, Air France, British Airways, Delta Airlines, Croatia Airlines, Etihad Airways, Fly Dubai, and much more.
Q: How many domestic airports are there in India?
Answer: The Airport Authority Of India (AAI) takes care of around 103 domestic airports.
Q: Which Indian airline companies are listed in the stock market?
Answer: Indigo Airlines, SpiceJet and Jet Airways are three Indian airline companies that you must watch in the stock market.
Q: Which airline can provide the luxurious best flight in India?
Answer: Vistara Airlines is known for its premium services and if you are looking for some out of the box facilities, it can definitely provide you with the best flight in India.
Q: Which is the largest airline in India?
Answer: If compared by fleet size and the number of passengers carried per year, Indigo airlines is the largest in India and is considered one of the best airlines in India.
There has been a dramatic transformation over the past few years in the Indian aviation sector which led to a sharp increase in the competitive market environment. With all the best domestic airlines in India, the future looks bright for the Indian airline industry.
Moreover, with the top-rated list of airlines in India, both the private and public players will get the opportunity to expand their network. So, In case you are looking for cheap domestic flights to travel around India, get in touch with our travel experts at Travanya and experience the best of Indian aviation. Simply call us on +91-800-023-5865 and get packing for your next trip!
Pawanpreet is a versatile content writer and editor who enjoys experimenting with various niches of writing. Her keen eye for detail and love for thorough research helps her create high-quality content to outweigh clickbait. She extensively works for digital marketing and manages clients that range from travel to luxury goods. Her creativity is fueled by her love for learning new things, travelling, and the environment. Also, she is a free soul and an avid animal lover who believes in doing everything with a smile 🙂