Top 10 Airlines Web Check In Policy: All You Need To Know
Posted on Friday, January 21st, 2022 by Pawanpreet Kaur Leave a Comment
Until the late 1970s, you could only fly on a specific flight if you had a paper ticket issued by an airline or its agent. You had to show up at the airport to check in with your ticket and obtain a boarding pass for that flight.
But thanks to technology! Airlines began using automated machines for checking in passengers and issuing boarding passes. The travellers are no longer needed to show up at the airport early enough to check-in. You could just show up at any time within 24 hours of your scheduled departure or less than an hour works too. So let’s swoop in the technicalities and know in detail what airport and web check-ins are. Also do not forget to check the web check-in policy of the top 10 airlines below.
What is an Airport Check-In?
Airport check-in includes the process through which a passenger confirms his/her intention to be on board and receives a boarding pass for a specific flight. Also, check-in is the administrative procedure of recording passengers’ arrival at an airport while preparing their travel documents so that they may obtain their boarding passes and proceed to the departure gate.
Now, airlines use various methods such as online, mobile apps, self-service kiosks, web check-in counters, and ticket agents to carry out this process. Passengers can also get last-minute tickets at discounted rates by checking in just before the takeoff of the plane.
What is Web Check-In?
Web check-in is an online, self-service option to print boarding passes before you arrive at the airport. When checking in for a flight online, you can choose a seat and enter frequent flyer information. Web check-in may speed up the time it takes to get through both security and customs when arriving at your destination airport.
You must register for this service on the carrier’s website before you attempt to use it at the airport. In most cases, you can check in up to 24 hours before the scheduled departure of your flight. This service is usually free and it is available right up until the time you must be at the boarding gate. The agent will print a bar-coded boarding pass for you when you do check-in. Keep in mind that web check-in time limits vary from airline to airline so always double-check their respective rules and regulations.
Passengers on international flights must also show that they have completed the required immigration and customs forms prior to checking their baggage. Passengers must claim their baggage before going through security screening (or else recheck it if they plan to access their gate from outside security). They can also request a seat assignment during this time.
Top 10 Airlines Web Check-In Requirements
Web check-in is sure to saves both time and paper as you don’t need to visit the airport, queue at a check-in desk or transfer your luggage to hold off the aircraft anymore. However, the check-in procedure for each airline varies from one to another. So here is a list of the top 10 airlines with their web check facilities and requirements.
- Air India: To complete the Air India web check-in procedure, just go through the user-friendly guide by Air India and follow easy steps to save yourself from long queues.
- SpiceJet – Avail of the Spice Jet web check-in facility by visiting the official site of the airline. All you need to do is enter fill up some details including the confirmation number, PNR, or email.
- Go Air – Look here for the complete guide for Go Air Web Check-in and complete the required formalities by sitting comfortably at your home. But, do not forget to report 45 minutes before the flight takes off.
- Indigo – Beat the lengthy queues by availing of web check-in Indigo and avail easy check-in facilities before you jet off for your holidays. Indigo’s web check-in process starts from 48 hours to 2 hours before your scheduled departure.
- Air Asia – Make your travel to your favourite destination hassle-free with Air Asia web check-in. Air Asia India flights allow you to web check-in anytime from 14 days to 1 hour before the scheduled departure.
- Vistara – Cut down on waiting time with Vistara web check-in and stay updated on the flight changes or delays. With Vistara, you can check-in anytime from 96 hours to 2 hours before the scheduled departure for international flights.
- Malaysia Airlines – Access the easy Malaysia Airlines web check-in facility and keep your travel plans flexible. The web check at Malaysia airlines is available from 48 hours to 90 minutes before the scheduled departure.
- Emirates – Save yourself some time at the airport by availing Emirates web check-in facility. Emirates asks the passengers to get through the airport at least 3 hours before the departure time.
- Qatar Airways – Check the detailed Qatar Airways web check-in policy and travel according to your convenience. The web check-in at Qatar Airways starts from 48 hours and ends 2 hours before the departure time.
- Star Air – Save the formalities time at the airport by using the Star Air web check-in facility and go through the process without any hassle. The online check-in at Star Air is available 24 hours before the scheduled flight.
While the information mentioned above is true to our knowledge, it is advisable to visit the official website of airlines for more information. You can even get in touch with our travel professionals via call at +91-800-023-5865 or live chat for quick check-in solutions and requirements. Our team at Travanya can also guide you through the latest domestic and international flight deals for a hassle-free journey. So ring a bell and grab the first booking discount with us.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques: What is a mobile check-in and how is it done?
Answer: Mobile check-in is a newer way of checking/boarding without going through the traditional method of going to an airline’s counter or using a kiosk. You can access this facility by downloading an airline’s application from either Apple Store or Google Play Store. Once you have downloaded and opened your airline mobile app, click on the ‘Check In’ button on the home screen of the app for further details.
Ques: Which was the first airline to start the online check-in process?
Answer: Alaska Airlines started the first check-in process on a limited basis in 1999. The airlines kept the check-in facility only for selected flights. But, slowly and steadily, more airlines introduced the check-in process and the concept of self-service kiosks started emerging.
Ques: When did airline check-in begin?
Answer: The check-in counter made its debut with TWA Airlines across the nation in 1926, although this service was optional at first. However, the airline finally made it mandatory for passengers to arrive an hour ahead of their departure time in 1962 after which the concept of self-service kiosks started emerging.
Ques: Is web check-in mandatory?
Answer: As per the new guidelines, some airlines have made web check-in mandatory for domestic flights in India. Some airlines may also charge a fine in case you miss the web check-in procedure.
Ques: Why should I use a web check-in service?
Answer: By checking in online, passengers cut down on wait times both inside and outside of security checkpoints. Hence, it shortens your overall travel time by over an hour, especially if you have carry-on bags that need to be stowed or tagged.
Ques: What are the things required for web check-in?
Answer: Booking ID of flight, place of departure and landing, and email id where you have received the booking confirmation are the required details for web check-in.
Pawanpreet is a versatile content writer and editor who enjoys experimenting with various niches of writing. Her keen eye for detail and love for thorough research helps her create high-quality content to outweigh clickbait. She extensively works for digital marketing and manages clients that range from travel to luxury goods. Her creativity is fueled by her love for learning new things, travelling, and the environment. Also, she is a free soul and an avid animal lover who believes in doing everything with a smile 🙂